Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chanel Jacket Finished!!

Yes, the jacket is done and I am very happy with it.  First I will show you a couple of pictures of the jacket on me.




I ended up with this sort of plain looking trim.  I didn't like the fuzzy look you see on many jackets.  I nixed the pockets also, although upon retrospect, I think I might add side pockets!  Not sure.

One comment I did want to make about sewing the Chanel jacket is about pressing.  I hardly pressed at all until the end!  Most garments that are made we end up pressing almost as much as the actual sewing time, but I think it is a combination of the nature of the fabric and the way the lining is sewed on the fashion fabric.  I did do a thorough pressing at the end and actually did some during the process, but I couldn't see a lot of difference.  Wonder if anyone has a comment on this.

I ended up hand sewing the sleeves in mainly because I didn't want to trim the sleeve seams until I was absolutely sure - so it was hard to find the spot to machine sew amongst the huge amount of excess sleeve allowance that was there.  I actually hand sewed it from the outside on the dress form.

I also put in a zipper, as you can see, which isn't very Chanel,  but I like to sometimes close the bottom 4-5 inches.

Here's the lovely chain I found at Home Depot!!


2 comments:

  1. It turned out great!!! It looks really nice on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Chanel is scrumptious! That jacket will always be in style and you'll love wearing it for years to come. Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete